- Enamored: NYX's website describes this as "Deep Brown with Burgundy Pearl." I'm actually a big fan of this shade! I didn't think I would love it, but it's one of my favorites in the group. I know brown is not for everyone, but it looks great on. I haven't seen the new Viva Glam Rihanna 2 in person, but from photos, Enamored reminds me of a darker version of that shade.
- Temptress: "Deep Royal Purple." I looooove purple lipsticks, so this is another favorite of mine. None of my purples are as dark as this, so it's a welcome addition to my collection. I'm going to get a TON of use out of this one!
- Aphrodisiac: "Light Brown Plum." This one goes on really creamy. It feels great on my lips, and I'm loving the shade!
- Bewitching: "Burgundy with Blue Undertone." I love this color, but it's sooooo creamy, that it starts to move around a little too much. I've worn it out a couple of times and I have to pay too much attention to my lips during the day, which I'm not a fan of. I like makeup I don't have to think about. If you guys love this one anyway, I would just suggest trying to wear it with a lip liner...I haven't tried that yet, but I will next time. Plus, it arrived kind-of damaged, so it's hard to apply. I know it was cheap, but I hate crappy packaging.
- Covet: "Light Rust with Red Pearl." I think NYX needs to come out with more of these pearl finish lip products. Maybe they already have and I'm just behind the times. But I'm in love with the finish and this shade is so pretty!
- She Devil: "Deep Plum." This one is the darkest of the group. It was the first one I tried wearing, and I wore it to work. It's definitely way too dark for my job, and I would never wear it to work again! But outside of work...I'm all over this shade.
Saturday, November 1, 2014
Hey everyone! I recently purchased all six shades from NYX's Simply Vamp Lip Cream collection. It was completely by accident, I swear! Now that I have them, and Fall makeup is upon us, I thought I'd share the swatches and a mini review with you!
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
I thought I loved Makeup Geek before...that was just the tip of the ice berg! I'm in LOVE with the new collection! I didn't know if I would be ordering anything at all, but once I saw the palette and pigments, I knew resistance would be futile. That may seem a little dramatic, but just keep scrolling down. You'll understand. And then, Marlena announced on YouTube that they would be offering bundle deals for the collection. So naturally, I ordered the bundle. Oopsie!
The Palette: Six full-sized shadows are included. The packaging has a very Old-Vegas feel, which I love. It's sturdy cardboard, and has a good-sized mirror. It's a pretty neutral palette, with the only non-neutral being Roulette - which reminds me a little of MAC's Cranberry. I like the mix of matte, satin, and shimmer. Desert Sands is probably my favorite shade. It's a great transition color, and I don't have anything like it in my collection. It's kind-of a brown mustard shade - very different from the normal transition shade. Sin City is also gorgeous. It reminds me of Sugarpill's Asteria (LE) and MAC's Firespot (LE). Mirage is perfect as a brow bone highlight for my skin tone. And it will also be great as a lid shade. I believe Bada Bing had previously been released, and I never got it because it's more glittery than what I usually buy. But it's a good addition to this palette and I actually liked it quite a bit when I used it. Casino is probably my least favorite, but it's still pretty. I just don't find it to be AS pigmented as I would expect from MUG.
The Pigments: Ugggggggh! I'm so glad I got these! Every last one of the pigments is gorgeous! I'll post close-ups below, so you can see them each in their full glory. They are amazing! My favorite is Vegas Lights - it's a gorgeous deep coppery brown. I'm just in love! Poker Face is a really pretty brown, and I'll have to compare it later with MAC's Brown pigment - I think they may be very similar. Liquid Gold had also been released previously. I didn't get it because I thought it might be similar to Sugarpill's Goldilux, which I already have and love. However, they are VERY different from each other. So I'm glad I went for the bundle, because this is a definite must-have! Nightlife is a very interesting mauvey/taupey shade. I'm looking forward to playing with this one. Jackpot is a light, golden yellow. It's great as an all-over lid color.
|The look I came up with using the entire palette as well as the Poker Face pigment.|
Monday, August 18, 2014
Guys I'm such a horrible person...
Long story short: I have a huge project I'm working on, and it's taken up all of my time and energy (Details coming soon...be on the look out). I know I keep saying, "I'm back to blogging!" and then I disappear. So I can't make any promises, because my life is so hectic right now. But I'm trying! I have ideas, I have posts started, I have photos taken, I have unedited videos...I just haven't had the time to put it all together in a way that I am happy with. So thanks for being patient with me and sticking around. It means a lot to me that I do have support from a lot of you out there. I just really feel like a neglectful turd lately. I cannot apologize enough!!
One bit of good news: Last weekend, we went to visit some family in L.A., and I got to take my dad to see Paul McCartney. This is probably the only item that has ever been on my dad's bucket list. So treating him to the concert was a huge blessing, and I feel so lucky to have shared that experience with him. My dad is a HUGE Beatles fan, and has been since they first hit the scene. He grew up in Chile, where he collected all the Beatles records (all the liner notes are in Spanish...he still has them). He dressed like the Beatles. My dad was Beatlemania. When we were kids, we listened to a radio show with him every week called "Breakfast with the Beatles." On my wedding day, I danced with my dad to a Beatles song called "In My Life." We didn't have the best seats in the house, but neither of us cared. Listening to all of our favorite songs together was one of the highlights of my life. I'll never forget that night!
Sunday, August 3, 2014
I've told you guys before about my great friend Angela (@BeautyNtheGym on Instagram). Not only is she a great friend, but she's an amazing makeup artist. I love seeing her work, and recently, I've been wanting to do a look inspired by her. So when I saw her beautiful orange and yellow look on Instagram, I knew it was my duty to recreate it! The color placement is what most intrigued me, and the fact that I was really into yellow shadow that week. Her under-brow yellow was more of a stripe, and I went for more of a blob. But I was super happy with the end result. I know it's not for everyone, but I was in love & I hope y'all like it too!
- Crease: Anastasia Beverly Hills Orange Soda and MAC Goldenrod.
- Lid: Sugarpill Butter Cupcake (yellow) and Flamepoint (orange)
- Brow Blob (yes, that's a technical term): Butter Cupcake
- Inner Corner: Butter Cupcake mixed with My Pretty Zombie Miasma.
- Waterline: Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black.
- Lower Lash Line: Butter Cupcake (inner half) Anastasia Beverly Hills Sienna (outer half).
- Liner: Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner.
- Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex & Tarte Lights Camera Lashes.
- Brow: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Ebony.
- Lips: MAC Haute Altitude (LE) & Lime Crime Babette.
Friday, August 1, 2014
I've been in full-out USE UP EVERYTHING I HAVE mode lately. There are a couple of things I want to purchase/repurchase from Lush, but to justify buying more stuff, I need to use up what I have. That includes samples. So I started this series, in which I try a sample, and then let you know whether I will be buying it in the future, or waving good-bye forever.
It's been really hard for me to find a foundation I'm 100% happy with. My skin actually seems to repel most foundations, and there are only two I've found that I mostly like: MAC's Studio Fix Fluid, and Kat Von D's Lock-It Fluid. With both foundations, I've had trouble finding the perfect shade, which is my main complaint. The KVD one lasts longer than MAC, but it's too heavy for every day in my opinion.
I've gotten other foundation samples before, but none of them was worth writing home about. So when I received this Dolce & Gabbana sample, I really didn't even want to try it. BUT I did. For the sake of blog research ;)
- The coverage: Perfection. It looks like my skin, but better. Full, non-cakey coverage.
- Lasting power: Looked great all day, even in the heat.
- The perfect shade: I've never found a foundation that is so close to my own skin tone.
|Not too thick, not too thin.|
- The Price: $67. Holy crap.
I would like to say I would never spend that kind of money on foundation. However, it's absolutely THE perfect foundation. I'm really torn on this one. If I happen to receive Sephora gift cards for my birthday (right around the corner, thankfully), or for Christmas...I will probably cave and purchase it. UNLESS, by some miracle, my brain allows me to forget how amazing and perfect and beautiful this foundation is. So I can't say I'll run out and buy this right now...but I definitely can't say bye, either!
|This is me wearing the foundation. I was much happier than I look.|
Monday, July 28, 2014
Hey everyone! I'm so sorry I went missing last week. I've mentioned this before, but I do get migraines now and then. Last weekend, one hit me hard. I get frequent headaches, but this was the mother of them all. I've tried it all...cold packs, hot compresses, aromatherapy, herbs, prescriptions... The only thing that really fixes it is a few days of good sleep and staying very hydrated (which sometimes interferes with sleeping through the night, but whatever). So that's where I've been the past few days. I really can't skip work, so I've been just saving all my energy for the day time. Now, I'm feeling a TON better, so I'm getting back into the swing of things.
This past week, I focused on my health. After day 2 of Giant Headache, I laid off the caffeine - I've learned that if a little caffeine doesn't take care of my headaches within a couple of days, it will actually make them worse. Since I needed to drink a ton of water, but didn't want to drink plain boring water all week, I picked up some lemon sparkling water with my groceries. Sadly, I think they used Pledge to achieve the lemon flavor. It was nasty!
I also picked up some healthy lunch options for work. I don't ever talk about this on my blog, but I've been trying to eat a lot healthier since I started my new job. In fact, since February, I've lost almost 10 pounds, and most of that is food choices. I really don't work out as much as I would like, because honestly I'd rather spend that time with my husband - it's not very often I'm home alone.
Saturday, I woke up feeling pretty good. I took care of some housework, and filmed a new video. Plus, I finally had a latte. Annnnd, I made the best fajitas EVER! So Saturday was a good day :)
Sunday, my husband and I took a quick road trip to Lake Las Vegas. We had a great time despite the ridiculous heat. The place was nearly completely empty. We saw very few people walking around, so it was nice and quiet. It was such a relaxing day. We hadn't been up there yet, so it was good to get out and explore a new place. Plus, we had a great lunch! I rarely eat pasta, so when I do, it always tastes like the best pasta I ever had. Since I've been feeling so icky, I decided to make it a pasta day. And it was delicious! When we got home, we each picked a couch and knocked out for a couple of hours. I love Sundays, because they're our only day off together. And this Sunday was great!
After a relaxing and semi-productive weekend, I'm ready to take on the week and get back to normal! Don't forget to visit Vero's blog if you'd like to participate in Mood Monday!
Friday, July 18, 2014
Hey everyone! I'm super excited to bring you this post, because it's a huge collaboration with several amazing bloggers. Thanks so much to Tanya at Leopard Lace and Cheesecake for setting this up!
I grew up in California, so I'm no stranger to trying to look presentable after a day at the beach. Plus, my husband and I love going to beachy destinations on vacation. We don't live near any beaches now, but there are plenty of pools to satisfy my beach bum needs ;)
After the beach (or pool, in my case), we usually go somewhere local for snacks and drinks. Since I don't like to look like a bum (never not glamorous, duh!), I always bring along a few items to touch up a little before heading out. Here is what I usually bring along to get myself looking more like a mermaid than something the ocean spit up:
- Tarte BB Cream in Medium: This provides a really nice coverage without looking like you have heavy makeup on. I wear this any time I go to the pool, so I just touch up a little when we head out.
- Lime Crime Velvetine in Pink Velvet: This is a liquid lipstick, which is perfect for throwing in a beach bag because you don't have to worry about it melting. Plus, it provides excellent and long-lasting coverage. I love makeup I don't have to worry about!
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Ebony: I used to never fill in my brows. Now that I do, I look weird to myself with them. This stuff is pretty resilient, but I like to have it in case I wipe half a brow off. Can't go to dinner with a brow and a half!
- Systane lid wipes: Not a makeup item, but an essential none the less. I use this to clean up any smudged eye shadow. And since it's one little wipe, I don't have to carry a whole pack of wipes with me (Find these at your pharmacy/drugstore next to the contact lens solution).
- Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil in Rockstar: This is what I wear in my waterline and to tight-line whenever I go to the pool. So I bring it along to touch up just in case. It's a pretty dark brown shade, so it's not overly dramatic for daytime.
- Bobby Pins & a Hair Tie: I hate wearing my hair up, but sometimes, it leaves me no other choice. I always have these just in case!
|The finished product!|
Please take a minute to visit all the girls who participated in this collab:
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
My Pretty Zombie is a newish-to-me brand. I tried one of their shadows for the first time a couple of months ago. Recently, they had a big sale, so I took the opportunity to purchase a couple more shades. If you guys aren't familiar with this brand, check out Tori/Biohazardous Beauty on YouTube. She uses their shadows pretty frequently, AND her eye is used for all the swatches on myprettyzombie.com. I just wanted to share the swatches of my current stash, I really love them all and can't wait to start putting my new shadows to use!
- Epistaxis eye shadow: Described on the website as a "matte fresh nosebleed red." I know...sounds a little strange. But you'll start to see a theme with their product names.
- Moist eye shadow: "A shimmery creamsicle orange." Y'all know I love orange eye shadow, and this one definitely does not disappoint! It's sooooo pretty!!
- Miasma eye shadow: "Buttercup yellow with a sweet pink shift." This one is really unique. It's a must have! There is another picture showing the yellow tones further down.
- Celery and Bile eye shadow: "Celery with an orange-y gold shift." Lucky me, I got a sample of this one in each order. I actually love it, and I'm surprised I didn't remember to buy it when I placed my second order. I was overwhelmed...lol.
- Mary Jane eye shadow: "Mid tone grey green with a red shift." I also received this as a sample. It's actually quite gorgeous. It's not something I would've chosen for myself, because the photo on the website doesn't do it justice. But in person, it's stunning.
- Ojo de Gato eye shadow: No description available on the website, since this was an LE shade. This was my first MPZ purchase, and I love it! It's what I'm wearing in my Beach Waves tutorial. It's a dark greenish brown with a copper shift. I absolutely love it! Plus, all proceeds from this shadow went to Blind Cat Rescue...so I had to get it!
- Propoxyphene Blush: "Matte bubble gum pink." I received this as a sample. It looks like a soft cotton-candy pink in the baggie, but swatches more like a Barbie pink. It's very pretty, I would just apply it with a very light hand and build it up if I had to.
- Benzodiazepine Blush: "red, red, red." That pretty much sums it up! This was a sample as well. Again, I would apply it very lightly to start, but it's super pretty. It does have somewhere between a satin and shimmer finish but it's not glittery at all.
|A different angle...tried to capture some of the color shifts.|