Monday, July 29, 2013

Taking It Off

Eventually...the makeup has to come off. I used to be terrible at removing makeup at the end of the day. I found that for me, wipes work best. Here are some of the wipes I've tried and what I think of them.




  • Target brand: I alternate between the Chamomile ones (pictured), and the Cucumber. I honestly can't find a difference between the two, but I tend to gravitate towards the chamomile because I have rosacea and they are supposed to be soothing. The Pros: They work pretty well, they are not irritating like some other wipes can be, and they are pretty cheap. The Cons: The quality is not consistent. I've gotten some that are super moist, and stay that way until I finish the pack. I've had other packs that dry out quickly or even some packs that start out dry. So it's a little annoying because you never know what you're going to get.
  • Elf: These are another go-to when I'm feeling cheap. The Pros: They're inexpensive. I love the texture--very smooth. The Cons: Like the Target wipes, they're not consistent in quality. But they tend to stay a little more moist than Target wipes because they have the snap closure.
  • Josie Maran: I got these as part of a 500-point Sephora bonus. I've never purchased them because they are really expensive. But they are amazing. If I'm ever feeling rich, I will definitely buy a pack. The Pros: They are so soft, and the smell is to die for. They smell like orange peel, which some people may not like, but it's kind-of my weakness. I'm very sensitive to smells, so when I find something that smells good and doesn't give me burning headaches, it's like...a gift from the universe. The Cons: Too expensive. They're just makeup wipes...bring the price down a notch. I know they're helping to save polar bears and all, but it's just too much.
  • Systane: I think these are found next to artificial tears and contact lens solution. This is an eye-care brand, so they are very safe for your eyes and they do a phenomenal job at removing eye makeup. The Pros: They take EVERYTHING off. I mean everything. I wear a lot of mascara and eyeliner, and I usually take off all my makeup but still wake up looking raccoony the next day. Not with these! Just place a wipe over each eye for about 30 seconds, then wipe everything away. My eyes have never felt cleaner. Plus, they are individually wrapped, so each wipe is always moist and fresh. I can't say enough good things. The Cons: They leave your skin a little sticky. They're small, so you can't really use one for your whole face. They are really more for eye use only. So you have to use these in addition to your regular makeup remover. But trust me...these are so worth it. 


  • Simple: I'm not sure if this is a real brand or a store brand...haven't quite figured that one out yet. But they're *ok*. I use them if I'm completely out of wipes and this is the cheapest option. I don't like spending a lot of money at a time, so when I'm buying wipes, I always get the cheapest thing that I know still will work. The Pros: They get the job done. The Cons: They're just not amazing.   I've only tried these once, and I noticed they were really ineffective by the end of the pack due to drying out. I just don't prefer them, but if they're your only option, it's not the end of the world.
  • Aveeno: I've seen rave reviews on Aveeno products from other people, but maybe the brand and I just do not get along. The Pros: I like that they have the snap closure, because it really keeps them more fresh. The Cons: I didn't like the texture. They didn't do a great job at getting everything off. They weren't too pricey, but they were more than I want to pay for something that doesn't work as well as a cheaper option. 
  • Yes to Tomatoes: Ugh. These are worse than Aveeno. The Pros: I got these on sale. The Cons: They just are terrible. I think there were two moist wipes in the whole jar. I've been wanting to try the Yes To.... line for a while and this was the first thing I finally purchased. I'm just not impressed and it really put me off to trying anything else in the line. These are THE WORST makeup wipes I've ever tried. The only thing I use them for is to spray brush cleaner on when I spot-clean my brushes. I'm just not good with waste, so I had to find a way to at least use the rest of them. I hate these.
  • Biore: These were the first makeup wipes I ever tried. I liked them at the time, but it was also a time I didn't wear full makeup every day. So I don't know if I still vouch for them or not. To be honest, I mostly included them in the list because I needed a fourth picture! They're moderately priced for drug store brands. I will most likely purchase these again in the future to give them an honest review. The Pros: I do really like the brand in general. I find their quality is pretty consistent and their products do what they're supposed to. The Cons: None that I remember. I just stopped purchasing these when I discovered the Target and Elf wipes.



And that's it! Apologies for the rambling reviews :) I hope this helps in some way. If you have suggestions for other wipes, I'd love to hear them!

Google+ Followers