Saturday, August 31, 2013

First Impression: Clinique 3-Step System for Oily Skin

I received this as a sample from Sephora. The full size set is $44, which includes the cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. While the sample package was designed to last two-days, I found that each pod had enough product for multiple uses. So it actually lasted five days.

The sample set included two of these pod packs.


1: Cleanser. Not particularly foamy, as I like my cleansers to be. I just feel like they're working better if I see suds. But I did like the look and feel of my skin after using it.

2: Clarifying Lotion: For ease of use, I opened all the pods and emptied them into my travel toner spray bottle. When you spray it, it burns your lungs. I literally had to hold my breath, step out of the bathroom, then run back inside before breathing again. They claim the toner is alcohol-free, but I find that VERY hard to believe!!

3: Moisturizer: Nice texture but I felt that my skin still felt a little tight in some areas after using. I didn't find it particularly moisturizing.

For the sake of reviewing, I did not use a lot of my normal skin care products for these four days. I stopped using my Dermalogica cleanser & moisturizer, my Yonka toner, and my Josie Maran argan oil. I did continue using my Lush mask & Purity cleanser.

The Pros:
  • Relatively unscented. I'm very picky with smells.
  • Relatively low-cost, when I consider how expensive my favorite Dermalogica products are.

The Cons:
  • I didn't like the moisturizer.
  • I need my toner in spray form. I just hate applying it otherwise.
  • I really have this thing about sudsy cleansers.
The Verdict:
My skin does have a more satin appearance, and I don't notice any dry patches. I did have a couple of uncharacteristic breakouts, but I don't know if that's due to my skin getting used to a new product or if this stuff just doesn't work. Although my skin looks pretty oil-free when I wake up, it doesn't do anything for oil control through the day.

Will I purchase the full-sized set? 
Not likely. I may purchase the cleanser on its own at some point. But the toner gets a huge thumbs down and the moisturizer doesn't really do anything for me. 

Google+ Followers