Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hair Care: How to Grow Long & Strong!

A year ago, I would've never been able to write this post or give any advice on having happy hair. My hair was miserable! I chopped all my hair off years ago, and when I decided to grow it out, my brilliant idea was just to never cut it again. I'd always heard people say getting regular trims helps your hair grow, but I just thought that sounded counter-productive. Thinking I knew better led to unhealthy, brittle, damaged hair. And soooo may split ends. Then I learned the reasoning behind the "trimming makes your hair grow" idea. Basically...if the ends are healthy, they won't break off. If your ends are brittle, you'll end up with a lot of breakage and your hair won't grow past a certain point. So I finally caved in and asked my friend for her stylist's number. That was probably the smartest decision I ever made for my hair. She started by trimming only an inch and cutting in some layers. I was so happy, because I was convinced she would tell me she had to cut off a lot more than that. Along with regular trims, I started a little hair care routine. It's nothing major and it's inexpensive. I'm so happy with the current state of my hair, that I wanted to share what I've been doing:

  • Once a week, I deep condition my hair. I use a mix of Olive and Coconut oils. I take 2-3 tablespoons of each in a bowl, add a little water, then microwave for 10 seconds at a time, until it melts together. Then apply it through your hair, making sure to really get the roots and the ends. I clip it all on top of my head, then put a shower cap over it, and a topsy twist over that. I leave this on either all day or overnight, depending on my schedule. Then just shampoo and condition as normal.
  • Also once a week, I use a conditioning mask by Organix. I leave it in for about 5 minutes while in the shower, and usually on Wednesday/Thursday. I do the deep conditioning on Saturday/Sunday. 
  • Once I get out of the shower, I put my hair in my topsy twist for maybe 10 minutes. When I take the towel off, I apply Redken Heat Styling Thermo Actif, concentrating on the ends. 
  • I let my hair air dry until it's just barely damp, then I blow dry it using a nozzle attachment and a paddle brush. 
  • In the morning, I either flat-iron or curl my hair. When curling, I use John Freida Full Repair Style Revival Styling Spray. When flat-ironing, I use Organix Flat Iron Spray.





Google+ Followers