Thursday, August 1, 2013

Skin Care Routine: Oily Skin

My skin was great until I turned 29. I rarely had breakouts. I had even tone. Then one day, I just woke up and found that my body was rejecting my skin. My face became red and blotchy, and I had breakouts at random times, in random areas. I've been battling since then to find something that works for me, and I finally have a routine that is making me look like a normal person again. Mind you...I'm now 33. So it's been a journey!

The most important part about a skin care routine is the ROUTINE! You have to, have to, have to make it a part of your daily life. If you miss a day here and there, don't beat yourself up over it, but don't missed days become the norm. Most of why I've failed in the past is because I get cocky when my skin starts to look good, and I start to slack on my skin care. So now I just MAKE time.

About my skin...Although I technically have combination skin, the majority of my face is oily. So I just treat myself as an oily-skinned girl. I tend to purchase products for oily skin, not combination skin. I also have rosacea, which just sucks.

My morning routine:

  • Splash warm water on my face and towel dry.
  • Use a makeup remover wipe if I need to get any leftover raccoon bits off. 
  • Spray Yonka toner all over.
  • Use Dermalogica Active Moist moisturizer while the toner is still wet.  

My nighttime routine:

  • Remove my makeup with wipes. 
  • Spray toner all over. 
  • Apply Josie Maran argan oil while toner is still wet. 
  • Plus, one miscellaneous product each night, after removing my makeup.  



My miscellaneous routine:


I don't have specific days for these...I just go by how my skin feels and how much time I have.

  • Milk of Magnesia Mask: 
    • I originally purchased this because it's said to be great for oil control when used prior to foundation. It didn't work that way for me. However, used as a mask, it has helped combat my redness. Just apply liberally all over your face and rinse off with warm water once it dries.
  • Philosophy Purity Cleansing Gel: 
    • I use this in the shower every time I wash my hair. Just because it gives me something to do while I'm conditioning, so it kills two birds with one stone. The amount of days I use this varies greatly because I don't like to wash my hair every day, but sometimes I have to depending on my workout schedule. I love this because it makes my skin feel really clean and it also takes off all my eye makeup without irritating my eyes.
  • H2O Sea Kelp Body Scrub: 
    • My husband actually gets credit for this one. It's a body scrub but I use a little bit mixed with the Philosophy cleanser for my face. It's been a great addition to my routine. I have a lot less redness since I've started to use it.
  • Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel: 
    • I use this a couple times a week - on the days I don't use my Philosophy cleanser.
  • Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil: 
    • I know it sounds weird...why am I using oil to clean my oily face?  But it works. I didn't like it when I used it alone, but now I add it to my Dermalogica cleanser and I feel like using them together really does the trick. This is similar to Mac's oil cleanser - I can't remember the name, and Dermalogica's Pre-Cleanse.
  • Dermatouch Mini: 
    • I had started to use this every day when I first got it, but it was a little too much. Now, I just use it twice a week or so - usually when I use my cleanser/cleansing oil combo. I love that it gets deep down to remove any trace of makeup, even after I've already used my wipes. I bought this on Haute Look, but I just looked it up online and it looks like they sell it at Target, too.




Other random tips:
  • Drink your water! This is soooo important, but so many people don't do it.
  • Clean your makeup brushes! Again...so easily looked over, but it doesn't matter how clean your skin is if you're rubbing dirty brushes all over your face every day...eww!
  • Don't pick! I know it's hard, but when you do have a break out, do your best to leave it alone. I've learned this the hard way. 

Google+ Followers