Sunday, September 1, 2013

Battle of the Cream Shadows: Makeup Forever Aqua Cream Shadow vs Maybelline Color Tattoo

Once upon a time, I was in the "I'm gonna buy everything Makeup Forever makes" phase of my life. That lasted for about three items, before I decided I needed to start finding dupes. And FAST. I don't know if y'all noticed, but MUFE is not cheap!

The one thing I found a good dupe for are the cream shadows. My MUFE Aqua Cream collection is exactly two. My Maybelline Color Tattoo collection is continuously growing (you can see it here). I was shocked to find that a drugstore brand could have a product as good as MUFE's Aqua Cream shadows.

Here is a quick comparison with swatches:

Top: MUFE #12, Maybelline Gold Rush
Bottom: MUFE #5, Maybelline Fuchsia Fever


MUFE on left, Maybelline on right



MUFE

The Pros:
  • Waterproof! I love this about MUFE.
  • Really lovely shades.
  • A good mix of matte & shimmer.
The Cons:
  • A little pricey.
  • Not very build able - they start getting cakey as you build.

MAYBELLINE

The Pros:
  • Low cost.
  • Not labeled as waterproof, but they basically are.
  • Good color selection.
The Cons:
  • They're mostly shimmery shades - not enough matte.
  • A couple have not had good color payoff.
  • Constantly revolving LE shades that are very hard to find.


The Verdict:
Overall, I love both. By the end of the day, the MUFE side of my hand definitely stood up longer  than the Maybelline side. But for the price...I usually stick with Maybelline. I would buy MUFE again if I find a shade I just HAVE to have. But I can't justify spending $23 when I could spend $5.

Google+ Followers