Sunday, December 29, 2013

Product Review: Lush "Brush Cleaners"

I mentioned in a recent haul that I had bought two products from Lush that I intended to use as brush/sponge cleaners, even though that is not their original purpose. After using them a few times, I wanted to share my results with you!

Prior to these products, I had been using Enkore brush soap, which I absolutely LOVE. The one thing I couldn't do well with my brush soap was clean my Beauty Blender. As much as I cleaned and scrubbed, there was always a spot of foundation embedded into the bottom/round part. Not only did this drive me nuts for aesthetic reasons, but for sanitary reasons too! I was starting to break out...something had to change!! I asked my friend Michael, who is also responsible for me having the Beauty Blender in the first place, what he uses to clean those suckers. He recommended the Dirty Spring Wash and said he uses it to clean all his brushes, too. Since my Enkore soap is down to a little nub and I found myself across from Lush later that night, I decided to buy it. I didn't know it's NOT a brush cleaner at the time. So when I went into Lush, I asked them for brush cleaner. The guy & girl behind the counter looked at each other, then back at me, and informed me they don't make a brush cleaner. I rummaged through my texts until I found what I needed, and they were both intrigued with the concept of using Dirty Spring Wash to clean makeup brushes. That's when Lush Lady told me she recently started using Rehab (shampoo) for her brushes. So now that I had TWO recommendations for non-brush-cleaner brush cleaners, I decided to get the smallest size of both. Purely for reviewing purposes. Allegedly.

Not gonna lie...I tried these out the second I got home! The results were unreal! My Beauty Blender hadn't been that clean since I took it out of the box! I was so excited, that I started washing the rest of my brushes, too! My brushes smell and feel sooooo clean now. I'm seriously addicted to cleaning my Beauty Blender. I wash it a few times a week, and it's so satisfying to see it clean and sparkly! My sad little BB does have a permanent discoloration on the bottom, which you can see in the last photo. It's from the time I was so annoyed with not being able to clean it that I sprayed it with ELF brush cleaner. That just turned it kind-of grey, which I'm very sad about. Besides the actual sponge being discolored, you can see how clean it is compared to how it looks when it's been used.




Dirty Spring Wash
$9.95 for 3.3 oz
It's made with Spearmint oil, sea salt, and baking soda. Smells a little like Zest soap, but stronger. I happen to like strong minty smells, but I'm sure it's not for everyone. The oils literally break down the makeup, and it just drains out of my BB.

Rehab
$13.95 for 3.3 oz
I'm a little sad, because Lush Lady told me there was tea tree oil in this product, but after looking closely at the ingredients, I just don't see it listed. What it does have is a nice variety of oils: peppermint, jojoba, rosemary, almond, lavender, and even extra virgin olive oil. I don't know if you guys have seen the olive oil brush cleaning method on YouTube, but once you see it, this will all make sense. I tried the soap/olive oil thing, and it didn't work for me. BUT, Rehab does work really well.

I think both of these are great on their own, but I've found them to be most effective when used together. I really only use a few drops of each and it's plenty. I know it doesn't seem cheap, but I've used these quite a bit since getting them and they barely look used...I don't know if you can tell from the picture above. 

If you have any Lush recommendations for me, please leave them in the comments or link to your posts! The more I try from Lush, the more I want to try! I just think it's a great company, and their associates are always SO helpful and friendly. My husband even noticed how much I loved their products and bought his step-mom a Lush gift box for Christmas. I'm borderline jealous! ;)

Google+ Followers