Friday, March 21, 2014

First Impression & Swatches: Makeup Geek Eye Shadows

Guys! I'm so excited! I finally caved and purchased Makeup Geek shadows! I've been wanting to try these for soooooooo long. When they first came out, I scoured YouTube for reviews. However, the only reviews I ever found at first were by people who were being sponsored by the brand. So it was hard for me to trust those reviews. As time has passed, however, more and more people are reviewing and loving these shadows. I've been meaning to buy them for a loooooong time, but other things keep getting in the way. January, I was on a no-buy. February, I had already set aside for Dose of Colors and skin care. So now...it's March. I need them. I have them. Finally.

I didn't buy a ton of shadows, because I also ordered the large Z-Palette...which I have other plans for.  Since I didn't want to give MUG alllllll of my money. I only purchased four shadows. And here they are:




The Pros:
  • They blend like a freakin dream!
  • Inexpensive. $5.99 a pan?! Yes please.
  • Pigmented like crazy. It only takes a tiny bit of shadow at a time to get great payoff. These will last me for a loooooooong time!!
The Cons:
  • I always say I like to try before I buy, but then I do things like this, where I buy things online without ever having seen, felt, smelled, touched, etc. But I do wish they were available for me to play with. Like outside my front door.
  • Several shades I really wanted were out of stock, which is why I ended up with neutral city. Don't get me wrong...these colors will be put to good use! But I wanted a couple fun shades and they're all sold out!

The Verdict:
I will definitely purchase more from this brand in the future. They have a long list of MAC dupes on their website, which I love. It will come in handy when I get ready to make my next purchase. Since I really wanted a couple of sold-out shades, I will be stalking their website from now on until I can get them. And since I won't be purchasing another Z-palette next time (allegedly), I'll be able to stock up on shadows! Yay!
  • Beaches & Cream: I had to have this after seeing it all over YouTube. It's a pretty light shade for me, but it will work well when I want something close to my skin tone. As you can tell from the photo below, I had to blur out my skin to make the swatch stand out...that's how similar it is to my skin!

  • Creme Brulee: This is still quite a bit lighter than the shades I would normally use for a transition color, but I still like it for blending out shadows. Also a YouTube Beauty Guru favorite, so I didn't hesitate to scoop it up. I love her already.

  • Cocoa Bear: Another YouTube favorite! I don't have a shade quite like this, and I know I will get a lot of use out of this one. I have one a little darker, and one a little lighter than this. And now this completes my life. Yay!

  • Stealth: I've been looking for a great grey for a long time. I don't know what it is about grey shadows, but the perfect grey has eluded me. I don't know yet if this will be THE one, but I like it so far. We'll see how it goes!






Google+ Followers