Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Skin Care Boot Camp

Hey all! In my January Favorites & Unfavorites, I told you about how I had been using The Balm skin care products, and my skin was looking atrocious as a result! I stuck to those items for the whole month because a) I wanted to give them a fair try, and b) I was on a semi-no buy. But as soon as February first rolled around, I ditched those products. As much as it pains me to just discard almost entire bottles of product...I couldn't justify keeping them around at the expense of my skin.

I take my skin care very seriously. I used to have great skin, but in my adult years, I developed Rosacea, and I do get hormonal breakouts.  As of February 1st, I enrolled my face in Skin Care Boot Camp. I won't bore you with a day-by-day. I'll just kind-of break it down by category and go more in-depth with items I haven't previously talked about. This will be a word-heavy post, y'all...grab a snack!




My Note-To-Self List on February 1st:
  • Get rid of my The Balm products!! When in doubt, listen to Jackie Chiles. Don't put The Balm on!
  • Switch to brands and/or products my skin has been happy with in the past.
  • Be VERY STRICT about washing my Beauty Blender every-other-day. I know that may seem like a lot, but since I use it wet anyway, it's very easy to keep up with this one.
  • Never ever sleep in makeup. AND, try to remove it as soon as I get home every day (I usually leave it on until I get ready for bed).
  • Use calming masks more often. I had fallen by the wayside on my Milk of Magnesia mask.

Masks and Scrubs!
  • Dermalogica Cooling Mask: I just had a sample of this, so I started off the month by using it. I got one full-face use and an additional problem area use out of it. I was excited when I squeezed it out of the packet, because it was blue! I have been wanting to try those cool blue masks lately...but it was clear on my face, so that was less exciting. However, I did like the look and feel of my skin after washing it off. Quick tip: wash this off in the shower. It's so slimy, and really takes some effort to wash off over the sink.
  • Dermalogica Hydrating Mask: I had a little trial tube of this and got a good four or five uses out of it. I honestly don't know if it does a whole lot, but I had it, I used it, and my skin isn't dry. So...that's that!
  • Milk of Magnesia: I love how this calms my redness down. I tried to use it at least once a week.
  • Lush Mask of Magnaminty: I did use this regularly during my month of crappy skin, and continued to use it regularly this month. I've talked about this a lot, and I still stand by it!
  • Glam Glow Youth Mud & Super Mud: I continued to use these, because I'm trying to use them up. I love them both. I don't like using my Dermatouch exfoliator every day, so I like using the Youth Mud for less intense exfoliation.
  • Montagne Jeunnesse Tea Tree Face Spa: I only used this once, because I only bought one of them. ;) I just wanted to include it because I did use it.
  • H2O+ : This is actually my husband's body scrub, but I use it on my face in the shower. When used alone, it's a pretty heavy duty exfoliator, but I mix it with my Philosophy cleanser, and it gives me a very mild exfoliation. 

Cleansers!
  • Dermalogica Clear Start Foaming Wash: I've used this before, and I already knew I liked it. So I was excited to receive a trial size from my friend. I used this in place of my The Balm stupid cleanser.
  • Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel: I continued to use this with my Dermatouch exfoliator until I ran out. I hadn't used it all through January, and forgot how little I actually had left in the bottle. So it didn't last long.
  • Philosophy Purity Cleanser and Makeup Remover: I always use this in the shower. I love it. I also used it with my Dermatouch when I ran out of the Special Cleansing Gel.
  • Lush Ultrabland Facial Cleanser: This stuff is heavenly for removing makeup! You just slather a little all over, and your makeup literally melts off. Even though they recommend cotton pads to remove it, I used my Maybelline makeup wipes. I was super impressed because when using my Dermatouch afterward, there wasn't all that makeup that's usually left behind when I only use my wipes. Plus, my skin always felt soooo hydrated after using this. It's just luxurious...I love it!

Toners!
  • Yonka Toner: I only had a tiny bit left. I used it for the first few days, and picked up a new toner once it ran out.
  • Lush Tea Tree Water: I decided to switch to this because Lush is a brand I've really come to trust and my skin likes tea tree oil. I love the feel of this stuff. Usually, when I spray toners on, I feel like, "I have something on my face." This spray is so light and yummy. I feel like my skin drinks it in. Plus it smells great! I also spritzed it on after my makeup. Because the girl at Lush told me to and she had cool hair ;)

Moisturizers!
  • Dermalogica Clear Start Daytime Treatment:  I'd tried a few things from the Clean Start line in the past. I love the consistency of this one. It's a little gel-ish, a little lotion-y. It just feels luscious on my skin. Also it has a really light banana smell...I happen to love that.
  • Lush Enzymion: I'd been using this every morning for a while now, and I switched it to my night-time moisturizer while I was using Clean Start in the mornings...then back to the morning when I picked up my Gorgeous sample. Confusing. Sorry.
  • Lush Gorgeous: There is literally nothing in the world that does what Gorgeous does. I had picked up a sample of this a while ago and I fell in love. However, it's extremely expensive and I couldn't bring myself to purchase it. So I got another sample instead. Is that bad? I do use it at night time, because has a strong rose smell. I can't stand that smell, but the results are like no other. So I use it before I go to bed, that way I don't have to smell it for very long. I know some people LOVE this smell. It's just not for me. Florals and I do NOT mix. That being said...I know I'll end up purchasing this in the near future. It's just that amazing.
  • Dermalogica Clear Start Bedtime for Breakouts: This formula is a little more jelly-like than the daytime treatment. I had a trial of this as well. I used it most nights, sometimes combined with Gorgeous. I had a trial of this, but I think it's now called "Overnight Treatment."

The Rest!
  • Ahava serum: I got a few samples of this, and each sample lasted me a few days--a little more than a week total. I really like the consistency of this product. I love serums, and I  don't use them enough. So I was happy to have these samples.
  • Studio Gear CC Cream: I really loved what this did for my skin in December. I hardly used it in January, and obviously regretted it. I tried to remember to use it every day, but there were a few times I didn't think about it until AFTER my foundation was on. Oh well :(

Did I stick to my to-do list?




  • Get rid of my The Balm products!!  Obviously DONE! In the garbage, see ya never!
  • Switch to brands and/or products my skin has been happy with in the past. Most definitely. I did introduce one brand I'd never tried before (Ahava), but it was only for a week or so. And I tried a couple new products from tried & true brands.
  • Be VERY STRICT about washing my Beauty Blender every-other-day. I know that may seem like a lot, but since I use it wet anyway, it's very easy to keep up with this one. Done! This was an easy one. If I forgot to wash it the night before, I would just wash it immediately before using in the morning.
  • Never ever sleep in makeup. AND, try to remove it as soon as I get home every day (I usually leave it on until I get ready for bed). I slept in my makeup twice (during my very first week, like a moron). And there were a few times I didn't remove it as soon as I got home. But I tried to go without makeup as much as possible while at home.
  • Use calming masks more often. I had fallen by the wayside on my Milk of Magnesia mask. Done! Like I mentioned, I tried to use this at least once a week. I think there was only one week that I used it an extra time.



  • I know it seems like a lot to keep up with, but I didn't use all of these products every single day. I masked at least three days a week. There were two weeks in there where I was home all day (I quit one job and waited to start the next), so I actually masked a lot more. And like I mentioned a couple of times, some of the products I used until they ran out and then switched to something else.

    Overall, my skin has seen vast improvement. I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's definitely a start. And never again will I use any skin care products from The Balm! This whole experience has actually put me off to that brand in general :(  However, I feel like now that I'm back to "normal," I can continue with a less-intense skin care routine. Once I figure out which products I'll be sticking with, I will definitely post an updated skin care routine...stay tuned!

    Google+ Followers