Wednesday, April 23, 2014

First Impression & Swatches (With Video): Kat Von D Chrysalis Palette

I feel like I've been talking about Kat Von D a lot lately! But that's because I've recently gotten into the brand. And when I get into a brand, I'm non-stop chatter about it for months! So you guys are right in the middle of my current obsession!

Recently, I purchased the Chrysalis Palette during Sephora's 15% for VIBs sale. I didn't do a sale haul, because if I started adding things to my cart, I would just go crazy. Plus, Ulta was having 20% off at the time, and I got the Clarisonic Mia 2 from them. So I couldn't go full ape at both places. This palette was the one thing I chose, because a) I'm recently and currently obsessed with KVD, b) it's brand new, and c) the Esperanza palette is already sold out and it's also pretty new. So I was afraid that I would miss out on this palette if I didn't jump on it. She also released a neutral palette at the same time called the Monarch Palette. It's very pretty, but I've purchased a few new neutrals lately. So I went for the colorful one!







The Pros:
  • The packaging is cardboard, but still very sturdy. It's throw-in-your-purseable. 
  • The shadows are GORGEOUS! I love all but one.
  • Great pigmentation.
  • The shadows apply and blend out so smoothly.
The Cons:
  • I'm a little baffled at why it has three jumbo shades and the other nine are about the same size as what are normally in her palettes. But whatever! 
  • As with the Esperanza shadows, some of these are a bit chalky. 
  • The only one I don't love is the light pink shade. It looks deeper in the photo above, but you can tell from the swatches that it's a barely-there shade. It's probably too light for me to use all over the lid, and it's too pink to use as a highlight. So I'm not sure when and how I'll use this, but I'm sure I'll try eventually. 
The Verdict:
Overall, I'm in love! I've already used this palette alone and with other shadows several times. I love that some shades have a satin, almost metallic finish. It's so nice versus other shadow palettes that are either matte or full of glitter. These are a nice middle ground.  I highly recommend it! And if you're looking for more neutral tones, try the Monarch Palette instead!







Using only shadows from this palette and a color tattoo as base
just in the center of my lids. I also used Anastasia Beverly Hills
for the brows, and NYX Lipstick in Butter.


Google+ Followers