Saturday, May 10, 2014

Julep Maven Box (With Video): May 2014

I took an unintentional break from blogging and YouTubing this week. Sorry for being so flaky! I've realized that I don't have enough time to film, edit, and publish two videos a week. And in my attempt to do ONE video this week, my blog suffered. So I'm scaling down on my videos to once a week, and continuing my blog as usual. Alllllright, so let's get on with it!

So...I think you guys know how I feel about the Maven Box by now. It's ok...not great...and in the end, I get new nail polishes. I decided ahead of time that this would be my last box, so I decided to cash in my "Jules" (points) for extra goodies. However, I didn't realize that when you use your points for extra products, you ALSO have to pay extra. Well played, Julep...well played. Instead of $19.99 like usual, I paid $25 for this box. So I'm pretty annoyed. Another thing I find extremely annoying, is that you have to cancel by phone. I think they just try to make it extra difficult so that you don't cancel in time and your'e stuck with another box. Because people like me work all week and don't have time to be on the phone canceling boxfuls of nail polish and swapmeet candy! But I digress...Now that my rant is over, let's get to the goodies, shall we?!




This month's box was supposed to be the "It Girl" collection, but I switched it out for the Boho Glam box. I usually end up liking the Boho Glam box every month, even though my personal style is pretty much the opposite of Boho. I actually hate the Boho trend...but apparently, my toes like to be Boho!!




The polishes included in this box were Paulette (lavender with gold iridescent...ness) and Jeanne (light blue). Also included in the box was the Plie wand....which is basically a long pointy handle that you attach to the polish brush. Why?! To give you better control, supposedly. I was also led to believe it came with a dotter attachment, but I guess you're supposed to buy that separately. The dotter tool was the selling point, and I would've switched the wand out for another polish if I knew the dotter wasn't part of the package. And I was SO EXCITED this month, because the bonus item was NOT a piece of leftover Easter candy! It was actually.....ANOTHER POLISH!!! The only bummer is that the bonus polish is almost the EXACT same color as Jeanne. Bess is a tad bit more green, but it's extremely similar. So I wish it was a different shade, but it's hard to complain about having more polish. 

The items I used my points (and money) for, were extra Plie wand attachments (seemed like a good idea at the time), and a polish called Laree (hot coral with gold iridescent...ness). As I've mentioned before, the gold iridescent in Julep polishes doesn't seem to show up. But the base colors are still pretty, so I use them anyway. I do wish the gold would pop through a little more, though! The extra brush for the wand is supposed to be a precision brush, but it really looks to be the same size as any other brush. So I'm not sure if it really has a purpose. 

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this box. I got four new polishes and a stick. I'm still canceling my subscription. I just can't justify spending $20 per month for polish...especially since I get gel manicures and I only polish my toes. Also...Julep just changed their subscription options, and they're going to be charging more for the standard box, and even more for the upgraded box. So....doesn't make sense. I feel like I seem very angry in this post, but I'm not! Lol. I do love the Julep polishes. They're some of the better quality polishes I've tried. I just think that for me, personally, the box was something I shouldn't even have signed up for. But they reeled me in! I'm a sucker.


Google+ Followers