Sunday, June 12, 2016

Review & Swatches: Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye Quad in Plum

Earlier this year, I faced a difficult decision: Which of Kat Von D's Shade & Light Quads would I purchase? After careful consideration (read: I saw two great pictures on IG and I had to have it), I chose plum. The other quads look great, but I felt like I would get the most use out of either Plum or Rust. And I'm glad I did go with Plum, because Melt Cosmetics just released a Rust Stack, and I can justify buying it. All is right with the world.




The Pros: 
  • Same great formula as Kat Von D's other eye shadows. I hate when brands put out limited products, holiday sets, etc.,  and the quality is not up to par with the rest of their products. I've become really iffy on buying LE shadow quads for that reason. But with KVD, you can always count on the quality to be spot on. 
  • The packaging. I love that it's a nice solid case with a secure snap closure. Since the concept of the quad is that "it's all you need," the fact that it's not in flimsy packaging takes that idea to another level. You can literally throw it in your purse and run out the door or hop on a plane, and do your makeup on your way to wherever the heck you're going. Plus the mirror is surprisingly large for how small the quad is.
  • It makes a smoky eye easy. This really takes the guess work out of putting an eye look together. In my opinion, it would make a perfect gift for someone who likes makeup, but doesn't necessarily know how to put colors together in a way that makes sense. The shades don't even have names. They are labeled "crease," "highlight," etc. BUT, you can also get creative and place the shades wherever you want, obviously. You're not just stuck with ONE smoky eye look. Because the shades are made to go together, you can use them in a variety of eye looks and you always know you will look well put together.



The Cons: 
  • The dark plum shade, which I thought would be my favorite, is a little disappointing. The color is beautiful. But it is a little more difficult to apply.  It's not bad, by any means. It just takes more effort. I have to work with it for longer than usual to get it to look even on both sides and not patchy where it's blended out. Once it's on the way I like it, it looks amazing. I just don't like that it takes as much extra work because it does take some of the effortlessness away from the quad.
  • The lightest shade is lighter than I normally like. Mind you, I like a really obnoxious inner corner. This shadow is probably great for most people. It does add a hint of lavender and is not overpowering in the inner corner. So if you like subtle, then you'll like this shadow. I like obvious and overpowering. So I'm not a huge fan. However, the texture is nice and it's super easy to apply and work with.



The Verdict:
In my opinion, it's a pretty good little quad. I would definitely recommend it. I would give it as a gift. I will continue to use it, without a doubt. I especially love that the larger shadow in this quad is one that I will get a TON of use out of, since I also love it as a blush. Usually when I get KVD palettes, her larger shadows end up being my least used. So I'm happy that with this quad, it's the other way around. Let me know if you try this quad or if you have any of the others! And feel free to link to your reviews down below! Also, visit my YouTube channel to hear my ramblings about this palette! 




Google+ Followers